Sunday, March 13, 2016

A Sincere Heart is Better

I hate #FOMO. 

I got a little sidelined today. Being sick is never fun, but I especially struggle with it when it causes me to miss out on things. Sunday mornings are my thing. I’m certainly blessed to enjoy my life and my work throughout the week, but it is Sundays that really give me a jolt of excitement about what God is doing in our community. Missing one bums me out.



And that’s when I thought…..that’s not okay. God is at work throughout every moment of our lives. And if he is calling me to rest, then I must rest.

I’d love to think it doesn’t take a stomach virus for me to slow down and hear from God. But, maybe He is saying, “I’d like some time with you today.” More than the “first fifteen”….more than morning devo….let’s spend some actual time together. 

If we set out trying to accomplish His purposes without His strength, we will surely be overwhelmed. It’s by God’s grace that we receive vision for our lives, and by His grace we sustain it. 

Do you ever come across verses that you are sure you’ve read before, but they stand out in a totally new way? That was this for me today:

“Are we commending ourselves to you again? No, we are giving you a reason to be proud of us, so you can answer those who brag about having a spectacular ministry rather than having a sincere heart.” 2 Corinthians 5:12 NLT

Is God working to make my personal ministry spectacular? Sure, maybe. But, it pales in comparison to the work He does on the inside of my heart.


Prayer: God, don’t allow my desire for a spectacular ministry to outweigh my sincere heart for You. I don’t want to be so busy looking for the spectacular that I miss the supernatural happening before my eyes. Remind me where I started constantly. Let me daily remember that it’s only when connected to the Source in an immensely deep way that I am able to stand up under the calling You have on my life and ministry.  

No comments:

Post a Comment